Each one of the natural ingredients used in the classic Bee Balmy (listed below) is beneficial for the skin and has been used for centuries by healers and herbalists.
- Olive (Olea europaea) oil has moisturising properties and is quickly absorbed into the skin. It is packed with antioxidants to help repair cellular damage caused by the natural process of ageing. Olive oil also has a sun protection factor (SPF) of 8.
- Grape (Vitis vinifera) seed oil is a light, non-greasy skin oil. It has regenerative and restructuring properties, and is effective in wound, anti-ageing and acne treatments. It has mild astringent properties that help to tighten and tone the skin, and it can reduce swelling. It is rich in essential fatty acids, especially linoleic acid, which strengthens cell membranes. Its antioxidant properties also prevent pores from becoming clogged.
- Sweet almond (Prunus amygdalus dulcis) oil contains Vitamins A, B1, B2 and B6, and is extremely rich in Vitamins E and K, which makes it an excellent moisturiser for dry or inflamed skin. It is easily absorbed into the skin and has an SPF of 5.
- Jojoba (Simmondsia chinensis) oil is a very light, non-greasy oil with anti-inflammatory properties. It has a similar molecular structure to sebum, the oil which the skin naturally produces, and is effective in acne treatments as it dissolves the sebum clogging the skin’s pores. It has an SPF of 4.
- Apricot (Prunus armeniaca) kernel oil is rich in antioxidants, and Vitamins A and E. It hydrates and nourishes the skin and is easily absorbed.
- Lavender (Lavandula angustifolia) flowers contain anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties, reducing skin itching and redness. This herb has a soothing scent and promotes a sense of calm.
- Calendula (Calendula officinalis) flowers, also known as marigold, are renowned for their healing and detoxifying effects. This herb is particularly effective in treating rashes, fungal infections and burns.
- Beeswax (Cera alba) has natural barrier properties, and is moisturising and healing. It is non-allergenic and anti-inflammatory and contains antioxidants.
The cold-pressed olive oil used in these balms is sourced from the award-winning Rio Largo Olive Estate on the Breede River, Western Cape. The other oils, beeswax and dried lavender and calendula flowers are sourced from certified South African suppliers.
Bee Balmy products are made to order from fresh oils and have a shelf life of six months from the date of manufacture as they are preservative-free.
Consistency and colour may vary from product to product, and are dependent on the ambient air temperature and the colour of the beeswax (which is a result of the type of flowers the bees visited).
To use, warm a small amount of balm in the palm of your hand before smoothing it into the skin.